5 Strategies for Just Married or Divorced Taxpayers with a Name Switch

If you changed your name following a recent marriage or separation and divorce, the IRS reminds you to take the necessary steps to ensure the name in your tax return matches the name registered using the Social Security Administration. A mismatch between the name shown on your tax return and the SSA records may cause problems in the processing of your return and may actually delay your refund. Here are five tips in the IRS for recently married or divorced taxpayers who have a name change.

1. If you took your spouse’s last name — or should you hyphenated your last names, you may run into complications if you don’t notify the SSA. When newlyweds file a tax return utilizing their new last names, IRS computers can’t match the new name with their Interpersonal Security number.

2. If you recently divorced and changed to your previous last title, you’ll also need in order to notify the SSA of the name change.

3. Informing the SSA of a name change is simple. Simply file a Type SS-5, Application for an Interpersonal Security Card, at your local SSA office or by mail and supply a recently issued document as proof of your legal name alter.

4. Form SS-5 is available on SSA’s website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/, through calling 800-772-1213 or from local offices. Your new card may have the same number because your previous card but will show your new name.

5. If you adopted your spouse’s children after getting married and their names changed, you’ll need to update their names with SSA too. For adopted children without SSNs, the parents can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Id Number – or ATIN — by filing Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Id Number for Pending U. S. Adoptions with the IRS. The ATIN is a temporary number used in place of an SSN on the actual tax return. Form W-7A is available on the IRS. gov website or through calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).If you have any question on which is deductible for your business, please do not hesitate in contacting your CPA within Philadelphia.

0 Response to "5 Strategies for Just Married or Divorced Taxpayers with a Name Switch"

Post a Comment

Berkomentarlah dengan baik dan sopan. Komentar SPAM akan dihapus.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel